Feijoada (Brazilian Black Beans Stew).
You can have Feijoada (Brazilian Black Beans Stew) using 36 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Feijoada (Brazilian Black Beans Stew)
- You need of Beans.
- Prepare 3 TBSP of vegetable oil.
- You need 2 of large onion chopped.
- You need 6 cloves of garlic minced.
- You need 500 g of Turtle black beans (soaked overnight).
- Prepare 100 g of Bacon lardons.
- You need 260 g of Polish smoked sausage (Podwawelska) cut around 3 cm slices.
- Prepare 400 g of Polish smoked ham (Szynka Pieczona) cut into squares.
- You need 1 TSP of salt.
- You need 2 of bay leaves.
- Prepare 500 ml of boiling water or just enough to cover the beans.
- Prepare of Rice.
- You need 2 cups of long-grain rice (don't use easy cook, it won't taste the same), washed and rinsed.
- You need 2 cloves of garlic minced.
- It’s 1 TSP of salt.
- You need 3 cups of boiling water.
- Prepare of Greens.
- Prepare 2 TBSP of vegetable oil.
- Prepare 1 pack of greens, finely cut (stripes).
- It’s 3 cloves of garlic minced.
- Prepare of to taste salt.
- Prepare of Bananas.
- It’s 4-5 of bananas cut in half, then half horizontal.
- Prepare 1 of egg.
- It’s 1 cup of self-rising flour.
- You need 2 of ripe TBSP sugar.
- You need 40 ml of milk.
- Prepare of Farofa.
- Prepare 1 TBSP of vegetable oil.
- You need 1 handful of bacon lardon.
- You need 1 of small onion chopped.
- Prepare 2 cloves of garlic minced.
- Prepare 1 TBSP of butter.
- You need 250 g of manioc flour (found in Brazilian shops).
- It’s of to taste salt.
- Prepare Handful of parsley chopped.
Feijoada (Brazilian Black Beans Stew) step by step
- In a pressure cooker pan, fry ONE the onions and THREE garlic. Add the bacon and stir till lightly cooked. Add meat and let it cook for about 2 minutes, then add the rinsed black beans..
- Add the salt and the bay leaf, mix well then add boiling water enough to cover the beans. Put the lid on, well locked and make sure the stem will release properly. Leave to cook for 25 to 30 minutes when it starts to noisily steam..
- While the feijoada cooks, prepare the farofa. In a small pan at medium heat, add one TBSP of vegetable oil and fry the bacon until crispy, add the garlic and the onions and let it simmer till transparent. Add one TBSP of butter then the manioc flour. It's important to keep mixing once you put the manioc flour in because it tends to brown quite quickly. Add the salt and mix more. Remove from the heat when it's brownish but not too much. Add the chopped parsley and it's ready!.
- Make the rice: In a medium pan, add the vegetable oil and fry the garlic until light brown. Add the rice and mix it with the garlic, add the salt and boiling water. Mix it well together and put the lid on. Lower the heat to number 2 and let it cook for around 20 minutes, do not remove the lid otherwise, the steam used to cook the rice will scape and it might burn before it's properly cooked..
- To prepare the couve, wash the leaves and place them all on top of eachother, make a roll and finely chop it. Now, in a medium pan at medium heat, add the oil and fry the garlic slightly, before it gets brown, add the finely chopped greens, add the salt and mix all well together. Let in sweat in low heat with the lid on for one minute. Remove from the heat, let it sweat a bit more with the lid on until serving. I like to do it at the last minute so it's still green and fresh..
- Once the beans are ready, add one TBSP of vegetable oil on a large pan, fry ONE chopped onion, and THREE garlic cloves minced. When transparent, add the beans in and adjust the salt. Let it boil for 10 more minutes, and add water if it gets dry, feijoada has to have caldo (sauce). Simmer occasionally..
- To make the fried bananas, in a small bowl, mix the sugar and egg, beat till combined. Add the flour and the milk, mix till well incorporated. Dip the bananas in the batter. In a frying pan, add enough vegetable oil to cover half of the banana, and fry until golden brown then turn to brown the other side. Remove from the oil and let it drain in kitchen towel..
- On a plate, add two generous spoons of rice, beans on top or on the side, like I do, and complete on the sides with some farofa to absorb the sauce of the beans, couve (greens), and bananas to finish. Enjoy!!.
I love to cook. Everything looks delicious!!!