Hot Italian Ragu.
You can have Hot Italian Ragu using 11 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Hot Italian Ragu
- It’s 8 oz of sliced white mushrooms chopped.
- You need 1 cup of fine diced carrots.
- Prepare of Small to medium onion fine chopped.
- It’s 4 of large garlic cloves minced.
- You need 1 oz of pack of fresh basil fine chopped.
- You need 6 tbsp of butter.
- It’s 1 lb of hot Italian sausage.
- Prepare 28 oz of can whole peeled San marzano tomatoes.
- You need 2-3 tbsp of tomato paste.
- It’s of balsamic vinegar or a 1/2 cup red wine.
- Prepare of Salt,pepper and sugar.
Hot Italian Ragu step by step
- Add butter to a heavy bottom cast iron pot until melted and then add the onion, mushrooms, carrots, couple pinches of salt and some pepper and sauté until soft, or until you all of the moisture has evaporated..
- Then add the garlic until fragrant followed by a splash of the vinegar or wine if your using it and continue cook until all is caramelized (this takes time and you don’t want the mix to stick so watch your heat and take your time).
- Once caramelized add the sausage and continue to fold the mix together while constantly breaking the sausage up and cooked through.
- Hand crush the tomatoes into the pot and add the residual sauce in the can. Add two healthy tbsp of tomatoes paste and season with pinches of salt and then sugar to balance the acidity..
- Bring to a simmer, cover and lower the heat and cook for about 45 minutes. Check seasoning and then cook for an additional 30 uncovered. Add the basil and simmer for an additional 10 minutes and serve with whatever pasta you prefer with it, here I did cheese tortellini..
- Notes: I had 1.20lb of Italian sausage so I added an extra 8 oz can of tomato sauce. The sausage lacked in heat so I added crushed red pepper to taste. The sausage also lacked in fennel so I ground up about a tsp from fennel seeds..
I love to cook. Everything looks delicious!!!